From: "Ian andrews" <i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 5:06 AM
Subject: [microsound] post-modernism

>> i don`t see any connection between post-modern philosophy (a phrase i
hate
>> mainly) and micromusic (music which i like basicly).
>> maybe it will be better if u will check what post-modern means?
>
>I might recommend the same to you.  Postmodernism has come to mean a great
>many things, which is to be expected, I suppose, of any movement that is
>"post" anything.  In music, it encompasses works as diverse as the
>schizophrenic abstraction of Autechre's "Confield" and the sparse
meditation
>of Arvo Pärt's "Tabula Rasa".  It also includes the music we call
>microsound.  It's a bit of a catch-all term, covering both re-introduction
>of classical elements (as in Pärt), and exaggeration and deconstruction of
>modernist elements (as in Autechre).  As to the relationship between
>philosophy and music, I will only say: it's no coincidence that Clicks &
>Cuts came out on a label named Mille Plateaux, after the book by Deleuze
and
>Guattari.  Microsound is probably the most aggressively
>postmodernist/deconstructionist genre in music at the moment.

I also hate the term "post-modern philosophy." It is a mass media term that
really makes no sense. For there to be such a thing as post-modern
philosphy there would have to be such a thing as modern (or modernist)
philosophy, which there isn't.
The rather vague umbrella term "postmodernism" generally refers to what is
called "post-modern culture," (concepts such as kitsch, camp, pastiche,
recombinant media, etc.) "post-structuralist philosophy," (such as D&G,
Derrida, Baudrillard, etc.) and "post-industrial society." (the information
& service economy). But of course all these things are inter-related in
some way.

However, I would suggest that within the culture of microsound, glitch,
etc. there is a strong movement away from post-modern culture, in
particular, away from irony and pastiche, and towards a much more modernist
aesthetic of purity and abstraction. This constitutes a return to concerns
with the materiality of sound in itself, isolated from textual and cultural
references. Of course this is not to say that all microsound music falls
under this description.

Ian Andrews:  The Horse He's Sick, Disco Stu, Hypnoblob, Kurt Volentine,
Cut with the Kitchen Knife, Sanity Clause, Battleship Potato, Operation
Bodyshirt, Zeroville, Target Audience, NBP, Organarchy,
Subvertigo.....Lymph, Borgia Ginz...
PO box A387 Sydney South NSW 1235 Australia
http://sysx.org/microsound/iana/