Re: What a press kit should contain

on 1/14/02 8:41 PM,  Nathan Snider  wrote:

> Glitch is music that expresses awareness of the structure that it inhabits,
> playing with it, exposing the limits.  Glitch can only exist within a
> structure, since it "lives" by shaking that structure apart.  Perhaps it is
> only superficially deconstructionist, but I'd be hard pressed to find ANY
> example of music that is "deeply" deconstructionist in a Derridian sense.

I'm not sure if I get this or agree with it.  A lot of the listserv has been
talking about some "genre"' such as "microsound" or "glitch" but I'm missing
specifics?  What specific features of this music have these Derridian, or
Deleuzian, or whoever else's functions?

I'm not quite sure how "glitch" really is "shaking that structure apart".  I
assume its the olde 'pushing the medium to the point of error and
recontextualizing that error as a means of music composition'.  I don't see
this as any more interesting than a guitar amplifier distorting at 10 or a
DJ scratching a record.

Even though I really like this music, I usually don't find it conceptually
to be "all that special".   or conceptually more interesting than many of
the genres of the 20th century.  I think a more interesting phenomenon is
why is the dialogue surrounding this genre laden with references to French
philosophy?  What about the anti-fascist life within capitalist society?

-Woody

-- -- --
dead ceo
po box 906   chicago, il 60690    USA
www.deadceo.com - online catalog with discs by
                  Ian Epps, Braxton/Rosenberg, Helen Mirra, 8-Bit
                  Construction Set, Transmissions festivals, and more