Re: [microsound] midi clock sync over ethernet

on 15/01/2002 12:47 PM, luke (c) at luke@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> There has been a lot of talk about this OSC (Open Sound Control) which
> is basically a protocol over ethernet which *includes* MIDI.

Just for clarity, OSC does not include MIDI, and it is a UDP based protocol.
If you're dealing with time accuracy needs on the level of milliseconds, you
will be disappointed. But if you just need a rough sync, or just to re-align
at certain points, send tempo information, etc, it might be what you need.

I'm developing an xtra for Director to send OSC messages. I'm part of a
collaboration for an installation that uses camera tracking data to control
Supercollider via OSC. I'll have a beta on the web soon, if anyone is
interested. I'll announce it.

Best,

Garry