(sn)thtk::02/05

Live::
+Kevin Parish (Trash America)

DJ::
+ Harry Rod (O.S.T.)
+ Zygote

--------------------------------------

02/13::TELEOPOLIS

exploratorium 3601 lyon street san francisco

+++ZYGOTE:: LIVE & DATA SOUNDTRACKING

ABOUT TELEOPOLIS:

In the past, being a part of a city required that you work, play, or other wise participate in the culture as a real live human being. Now, there are possibilities for us to be citizens of a city remotely. How does the fact that we can be avatars in our own cities (or adopted cities) effect the cultural fabric of the city itself? Or the fact that we can now exist in multiple cities at once? On Wednesday, February 13 at 7pm, the Exploratorium's 2nd Wednesdays series will explore our preconceived notions of cities and how those conceptions are being reevaluated based on the effects of media and technology. How do they alter the cities themselves? Can we have conversations with architecture? Can a city be made of icons, images and content? Can media pollute the city? Teleopolis includes provoking artistic projects that redefine and question our roles as citizens and inhabitants of cities impacted by science and technology.

Featured Projects/Artists on Teleopolis include:

Autonomous, Popular, and Akward by Zygote (Under the Radar)

Zygote's music is a mixture of computer based composition, sequenced synthesiser music, and prerecorded sounds. Zygote (aka Stephen Ruiz) creates soundscapes that reflect the not only the ideas of technology, but the ideals of technology.

http://www.undertheradar.net/zygote.html

Hubbub by Dr. Sha Xin Wei

Hubbub is an investigation of how accidental and non-accidental conversations
can be catalyzed in urban spaces by means of speech projected onto public
surfaces. Hubbub installations may be built into a bench, in a bus stop, a bar, a
cafe, a school courtyard, a plaza, and a park. As you walk by a Hubbub
installation, some of the words you speak will dance in projection across the
surfaces to the energy and prosody of your voice. The project capitalizes on
recognition errors to give a playful character to the visual projection space.

Hubbub treats speech as a computational substance for architectural construction,
complementary to its role as a medium of communication. Success will be measured
by the extent to which strangers who revisit a hubbub space
begin to interact with one another socially in ways they otherwise would not.
Hubbub is part of a larger cycle called Urban Ears, which explores how cities
conduct conversations via the architecture of physical and computational matter.

Sauna 02 by Sponge

The urban environment is not only polluted by solid matter, waste and the fallout of
unbridled consumption-it is also polluted by information and media. We are
bombarded every second by electronic media-the average American sees over
20,000 logos per day. Meaning is firmly encoded and stamped into our collective
consciousness by the persuasive rhetoric of marketing and design. In response to
this over saturated landscape, the art collective of Sponge has created Sauna 02.

Sauna 02 is an environmental/architectural experiment. It invites an individual to
pass through a contemplative space that will act as an antidote to the
overstimulating sensorial pollutants of the modern city. Using the same media that
is one cause of our over-saturated lives to create a restful environment, this
micro-architectural space should act as a refreshment for the urban weary. In the
Spring of 2002, Sponge will deploy several of these contemplative hybrid media
environments in public urban spaces in San Francisco. Sponge will show one of
the sauna models during the Teleopolis evening.

Icon City/Live Wired by Erik Adigard

A project that was originally produced for the SFMOMA exhibition Icons: Magnets of
Meaning, Icon City is an interactive multimedia work that explores how cities
have become media environments-shifting from the physical towards increasingly
electronic, information saturated spaces. Through dense, rapid fire collages of
graphic images and sound, Icon City examines the contemporary city as a space
of navigation, similar to the web and the computer desktop.

Fauna 2.0 by Adrian Van Allen

Fauna 2.0 is an interactive installation that explores our cultural attitude towards
the natural and urban worlds from a biotechnological perspective. The project
consists of two parts (1) a collection of life-size models of transgenic taxidermy
form creatures wearing clothing with integrated technology, accompanied by a text
panel and (2) a user-controlled projection of 3-D Quick Time VR photographs of
the creatures in various urban environments. Visitors will be able to view the
physical prototypes of the creatures, read the accompanying text panel and see
them integrated into different urban environments in the projection. Fauna 2.0
offers a forum for literal and mental; play with the concepts of natural vs. fabricated,
real vs. unreal, possible vs. plausible.