RE: [microsound] herbs&spice and everything nice

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, David Fodel wrote:

> for me this is about the late modernist painters who found themselves
> wrapped up in the surface of their canvas, and the paint... as opposed to
> any "pictorial" references in their work...a stepping away from the idea of
> painting as representation of anything in the real world, or even as a
> window to an expressive inner world but more a stark minimalism that became
> centered formal structures, on the medium/tools of painting, stripping away
> content until nothing remained but paint on canvas (or rather perhaps paint
> and canvas)...
you know at first glance i hated mondrian's primary color series, and
probably to most people his earlier "realistic" floral paintings would
have been prefered. But as i delved further into mondrians reasoning it
became apparent to me as to why he did what he did. his display of primary
colors and simple lines made the audience realize (or at least made me
realize) the importance the basics, the building blocks of the real world.
not devoid of the real world.

-mmaarrkk