RE: [microsound] herbs&spice and everything nice

for me this is about the late modernist painters who found themselves
wrapped up in the surface of their canvas, and the paint... as opposed to
any "pictorial" references in their work...a stepping away from the idea of
painting as representation of anything in the real world, or even as a
window to an expressive inner world but more a stark minimalism that became
centered formal structures, on the medium/tools of painting, stripping away
content until nothing remained but paint on canvas (or rather perhaps paint
and canvas)...

i suppose the comment is intended to bring up the association of ivory tower
elitism, and the dangers of compressing a particular formal focus to the
point where it feels like a little club and you need to be initiated to even
begin to understand what the hell anyone is talking about, and special
languages are developed by the initiates to further seperate and deliniate
even minor differentiations until it becomes so top heavy that no one (out
there in the real world)  gives a shit anymore.

David Fodel
Publishing Systems Manager
Wild Oats Markets
3375 Mitchell Lane