Re: [microsound] Re: software synths

on 2/06/02 5:02 AM, taylor deupree at taylor@xxxxxxx wrote:

> bill says:
>

>> Actually , points 2 and 3 are what I was hoping to reveal , or at least
>> allude to. . . I listened to your music from the perspective of not knowing
>> what you used to create it, and it worked really well that way. I think it
>> is useful if someone tells the composer what they envision in the
>> performances, since it gives  an idea of what kind of impact one is having
>> on at least a small portion of the audience.
>
> well.. what i use live is often different than what i use in the
> studio.. if you've seen me live in the past 6 months you've heard
> reaktor.. before that was other programs.. and in the studio a
> handful of programs...
>

>> I think it would be really cool if NI made a software version of the arp
>> quadra.
>
> i'm sure you could make one with reaktor.. and get pretty convincing results..

  Oh yeah; an approximation of a 'split octave' polyphonic synthesizer with
a two voice lead , bass with ARP filters and 16 programs wouldn't be a huge
project. What makes the quadra special in my eyes is the way the programming
is continuously variable: that is, the sliders stay in the same places when
one changes the program. That makes it possible to have 16 muted sounds 16
bright ones, etc. and change them quickly. There are also scratches from the
potentiometers and the 'sub' and 'super' sonics are clear , warm and
spontaneously controlable.

  I have an old quadra leaning against the wall , and I could get a new
power supply($350) or replace it myself( yikes). a laptop version might be
better for playing a few notes at the shopping mall during lunch. . .might
need a fairly hefty hardware controller(40 sliders?) to make it work
properly.

                                Bill