Re: [microsound] review: m.northam, y.dauby & t.koner @ STEIM

on 2/16/02 2:04 PM, Derek Holzer at derek@xxxxxx wrote:

> Northam's approach reminded me of seeing Jeph Jerman live -- it is an approach
> which seeks to squeeze all available sounds out of a single object before
> moving on to the next.

  I've listened to Jeph Jerman live more than once. Several people I've
known have performed with him and there is a sort of 'seattle tradition ' of
coaxing sound from objects not usually considered musical instruments and
playing store bought instruments in manners they don't generally teach at
the conservatory.

  It's possible Jeph was in that group "Blowhole". They used to play large
arenas amplifying really small objects.They also presented themselves as an
ordinary rock band; I heard a live set from the 'gorge at george'and thought
it was quite effective for musicians of that style to be'filling up the
sky'.