Re: SV: [microsound] Re: fileswapping is killing the record industry

I was thinking about this same phenomenon recently and wondering about its
implications for the future of the music biz...does this mean that the balance
of power is going to be subtly and gradually shifted away from prefab pop stars
like Britney and in favor of underground indie music whose fans care about it
more (and also care how it sounds more)?

At the very least, it seems like this might mean that a bit less of the music
industry's machinations will be focused on selling music to 14-year-olds, since
they're not paying for music anymore.

I would be very interested to hear what other list members think of this.

In my own case, I know that I bought fewer CDs for awhile when I first started
using Napster...then I started buying even more CDs than before, as I heard
more and more music from all over that I wanted to get in higher quality
versions. The changes in my own buying habits now are that I rarely buy
anything I don't like (since I've already heard samples), and I never buy major
label product. I rarely shop in record stores either, I usually end up ordering
stuff online that I would never have heard of in the pre-Internet era...

John

--
John von Seggern
http://www.digitalcutuplounge.com