RE: [microsound] Improv in Montreal...

I am not familiar with the work of Becky Foon and Jackie Gallant but
strongly recommend the work of Magali Babin: amplified found/created
metal objects sewn together in vast soundscapes ranging from delicate
microsound to all-over noise.

Julie Rousse is a newcomer from France but currently living in Montreal.
One of her last performance, during the "Rien a voir" festival of
acousmatic composition, took everybody by surprise with her original use
of filtering combs and improvised plundering of canadian television broadcasting!

Diane Labrosse is a well renowned improviser, taking the sampler to new
heights. I strongly recommend her CD "Ile Bizarre" with turntablist
Martin Tetrault and percussionist Ikue Mori (btw they'll revive this
project this march at the "Archipel" festival in Geneva). She also has a
new album with Martin Tétreault, very abstract - but less 'industrial'
than "Ile Bizarre" - called "Parasites".

The only time I have seen a live performance from Crys Cole was with Sam
Shalabi on prepared guitar and drummer Will Glass. She provided
wonderful minimalist textures on keybord that blended extremely well
with the subtle but dense drumming and Shalabi's hypnotic drones.

A Dontigny
assist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx