From: shannon o'neill [mailto:alias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 7:35 PM
To: microsound
Subject: RE: [microsound] John Watermann 19.2.1935 - 2.4.2002

>=?US-ASCII?Q?Falcata-Galia_and_Tariff_Records?= <fgrecs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>That's a shame.  He was quite a talent, and woefully underrepresented the
>last few years, as far as I could tell.

the main reason for his relative lack of musical output in recent
years is that he knew he had terminal cancer, and was 'tying
things up'. but he did continue to work. his major project in
recent years was the cdrom 'rose is a rose is a...'

there is a discography here:
http://aliasfrequencies.org/watermann/index.html

many people are unaware that john was an extraordinary writer
and visual artist, working with quite a dark form of surrealism
(consistent with his music). his web zine 'lean yellow supporting'
is one of the most amazing uses of the web i've encountered.
unfortunately it is no longer online.

john should be regarded as a pioneer of glitch/microsound.
he was using techniques in the 80s (with just a sampler
and multitrack) that anticipated a lot of recent digital music.
although i think he has influenced a lot of composers, it is
tragic that his own work isn't more widely known.

we had planned to rerelease some of his early cassettes
as cdrs this month (including the legendary 'these are workers').
this will now be put on hold temporarily while we consider how
best to present them as a tribute to his memory.

john also contributed a track to the forthcoming 'communication
problems' compilation on vibragun. the track is called 'cut off'.

john was an influence and an inspiration to me, and a sort of
mentor. he will be missed.

shannon
http://aliasfrequencies.org