Re: [microsound] laptops kim's article

> A "pure sonic experience" is for EARS not for eyes and I've never
understand
> why there is this need "to show what you do"...
> But it has been discussed, discussed, and discussed before, as you may
> know.....

I disagree. I agree that the last thing the audience should be looking at is
some spotty lad behind a laptop, but visual stimulus is required -- don't
ask me why. even when i listen to music at home, i usually turn on some
winamp visualization plugin, or stare at the cd-cover without blinking for
an hour, or just close my eyes and look at the fractal tattoos on the back
of my eyelids.

like it or not, a public performance implies more than a purely sonic
experience for the audience - if that's all i'm getting, i'll stay at home
and listen to the cd, thanks very much. i personally find the music at live
events tends to be more unfocused and a bit wanky, but even if that's not
the case, the organizer needs to go to some trouble to create an immersive
environment - it's interesting to see how somebody else goes about
translating sound into a physical environment (lighting, decor, projections,
space, etc).

the "pure sonic experience" thing is a cop-out.

david