Re: [microsound] laptops kim's article

Since I have brought up the luxury/commodity in the past I feel the need to respond. This is not an objection to the use of computers in music in general or the use of a mac laptop specifically. And I don't object because the laptop is a signifier of the business class. The problem I have is that these tools have become foregrounded to the point that they are the sole focus of both the music and the music criticism.

I read Kim's article about a week ago so forgive me if the details are sketchy but if I recall he was arguing that the audience's hostility toward laptop music was due to a lack of "aura." Of course the laptop itself IS the "aura" and that's what I find tiresome. It's currently hip to use a laptop live and writers like to write about it. Regardless of what kind of music you make on that laptop you will be seen as more relevant if you embrace the latest fashionable tools.

So when this focus is put exclusively on the tools we get music writing that sounds like the kind breathless techno-optimism you would have heard from internet startup types and venture capitalists a few years ago.

From: Ian Andrews <i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
But the laptop aint gonna go away. It is clearly one of the best ways for
experimental artists to perform their works. So what can be done?

I also find this attitude strange. It is not at all clear to me that the laptop is one of the best ways for me to perform my works. Your assertion sounds to me like more advertising copy.