Re: [microsound] laptop hell

mark wrote:

> "I don't feel that visual stimulus, in the form of video projection, is the
> answer either (especially in the form of tedious syaesthetic patterns). I
> reckon its time for a bit of content in the work. Something for the mind to
> engage in rather than the continual retreat towards new age immersive
> interiorization justified by the concept of (corporate)technological
> innovation."
>
> I whole heartedly agree with this - what about the performer projecting
> their laptop screen so that the audience could see what is going on -
> letting
> the audience see the actual manipulation of the audience.

Just make sure that what your displaying is actually
interesting and not just a bunch of knobs, meters
and patches.  Fucking boring.

Ben Neville has developed a wicked Max/Msp
patch that shows a graphic representation of
his manipulations of his sounds.  Repeat - representation
and this is where he got it right.  By balancing between
some mathmatical squiggly line interpretation (like a
screensaver) of the sound and the visual feedback
of a mixer and interesting to watch waveforms.
Truely a fine integration of the visual element
to a laptop performance.  Oh and by the way it
sounds great too!

Check him out

Kerry