RE: [microsound] laptop hell

> on 4/20/02 2:34 PM, edo at edo@xxxxxxx or somebody wrote:
>
> > This does not mean that the performance is
> >> not real, or  as good musically as any other performance
>

> 2 cents from a lurker
>

> I would not even bother to go along and hear a performance of classical
> piano or pretty much anything else if I knew the performer had only been
> playing for, 5 years say. Musical skill and performance ability takes
> years
> and years of study and practice and hundreds and hundreds of gigs to get
> down. Apart from a few outstanding individuals, why should you reasonably
> expect somebody who has been playing a powerbook for a couple of years and
> whose influences probably go all the way back to Kraftwerk ( crass point
> making hyperbole ) to move you with their musical insights?
> The tools may make it possible for non musicians to get gigs, but you
> can't
> download musical ability and experience, if somebody is good, you know it
> on
> whatever they play, and however they play it.

	OK... this really bugs me. how long does someone need to have played
their instrument to be able to move someone with their music? some of the
most moving musical moments in my life have been created by people who could
barely play their instruments. Crass, Joy Division, Sex Pistols, Gang of
Four, Virgin Prunes, the Ramones. These folks were not virtuosos, yet their
music was imbued with meaning and "insight" which touched all those who
heard it.

	In fact it was the punk ethic of many of these individuals (and
groups) that inspired me to try my own hand at music making. denying the
projection of raw emotive energy (in perhaps a less than extensively trained
format) in musical performance as a powerful and valid musical experience is
a mistake.