Re: [microsound] laptop hell & Hegel

""""You seem to be suggesting that I need to use empirical data to back up
my
argument rather relying on theory. I would have to conduct a scientific
survey in order to do that (and so would you).""""

Im not the one stateing that it is impossible for anyone to make a
connection with a laptop performer as opposed to a traditional musician.

 """"I don't think that my
argument is particularly dogmatic. I think in most of my posts I have
raised more questions than i have attemted to answer."""

I agree.

""" I think that I dealt
with your argument fairly, in another post (Monday 22/4), in language that
you should have no difficulty with. To this you failed to respond."""

Your last response to me was on the 21st not the 22nd.  And i responded to
you.  You did not return the favour to the best of my knowledge.

""" My post
concerning Hegel was not directed at you, it was a response to Edo. If you
can't engage with that particular, more theroretical, exchange, then i
suggest that you don't reply to it."""

I had a problem with something you said obviously.  If you dont want others
chiming in then i suggest you take your discussion off this list and
correspond via private e-mail, this is a public forum after all, whether you
agree with others or not..  Im sorry if you feel that i was in over my head.
I  dont feel that this was the case but you are entitled to your opinion.

I still believe that you never adressed many valid points that i brought up
for whatever reasons.

You say something like this...

""""But how does the audience know that your set is improvisational? They
can
guess but they do not know, unless they been informed of what it is you
actually do onstage. You could be playing something that you improvised at
some earlier time. You could be just playing something straight off your
harddrive. How do they know the difference. I'm "into that sort of thing"
but I wouldn't have a clue as to what you might be doing with your knobby
box etc.  I don't know who you are or what you do. I think  your attitude
"those in the know understand what I'm doing - as for the rest, they should
make the effort to find out" is highly arrogant."""

To which i respond with this...

"""How does the audience know that i composed the song i am playing to them
on
my guitar or piano?  HOw do they even really know that i am playing it live
for them?  Does the Audience interact or connect with a Conductor of a
Symphonic Orchestra?  Even if he did\did not orchestrate the score?  Do they
know the process in which it was all created with?  Do they know exactly
what he is doing?  I mean they see him waving his arms around like an idiot,
but his actions are ambigious to them when applying your rationale are they
not?  Would they enjoy it more if they did?"""

I thought this adressed your response in a satisfactory manner.  I guess
your opinion differs though since you chose to ignore it.

The reason i mostly disagree with you is because you are saying it is an
impossibility for anyone to ever make the same connection that is made with
traditional musicians compared to laptop musicians.  This to me is a factual
statement.(yours)   Maybe we should be discussing the process of creating
music and sound as well as the process(medium) in which it is shared with
others.

Respectfully yours

aLEKs