Money, I hate it...

Dear All,

It's been interesting watching all the discussions unfolding with regards
to distributors. I think Jonah makes some very valid and interesting points
in his post titled 'Stand'. Running a small record label is, as he rightly
points out, a stressful experience. It's not quite the 'dream ticket' some
people, I'm sure, imagine.

Balancing finances is a nightmare, and when your next release depends upon
the revenue generated (or not generated) from your last release the
precarious position some distributors place smaller labels into by delaying
payments, etc. can be the death of you. Literally.

I'm not going to list who we have and haven't had problems with publicly
as I, for one, feel that this type of information isn't really fit for
'public consumption'. Jonah's suggestion however, that smaller labels gather
together to share information is worth considering.

There is already a loose network of labels and label organisers who
exchange email horror stories and I'd strongly suggest anyone contemplating
setting up a label to ask questions. After all, you don't know unless you
ask. I know that I certainly appreciated a recent email from a colleague
regarding a certain Swiss distributor - who shall remain nameless - who
has been struck of my list of possible distributors... =]

Take care,

Christopher

http://www.fallt.com  |  info@xxxxxxxxx