Re: [microsound] Money/Mouth

On Thu, 16 May 2002 02:54:25 -0500
"Christopher Sorg" <csorg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying let's do away with one or the other, I'm
> just curious as to why there is so much prevalence of the one OVER the
> other.  What's wrong with the acousmatic notion in pop performance?  Is the
> pop music too pop?  Too boring for sitting and listening?  Are the venues
> sound-systems substandard?  Why the anti-acousmatic sentiment and the pop
> acceptance for Milli Vanilli entertainment?

IMHO, the idea of acousmatics is too intellectual for pop music.  1) most (but not all) pop music isn't complex enough to require 'acousmatic' listening (however, one could intellectualize it and/or create such complex imaginary structures that... well that'd be missing the point of pop music as entertainment) 2) pop music needs to be created fast and sold fast so acousmatic listening is discouraged (read: not given any thought).  Besides, a better chunk of world's population prefers the simplicity of the pop music and the marketing imagery.  They don't have time, resources, imagination, education to listen to and intellectualize music.  In this modern society entertainment should not be intellectually challenging.  Therefore acousmatics remains an issue to a few people who find this way of listening/composing rewarding.
--
../MiS

Michal Seta		http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/mis
CreaZone		http://www.creazone.com
No One Receiving	http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/nor

upcoming release:
NOR - "The Release of the Wandering-Eyed Girl"
	http://www.grainofsound.com