Re: Money/Mouth

I have to say that the microsound world is very much operating within the pop music realm and I think drawing distinctions between the two is a bit misleading. I would say that image and marketing are as much a part of the microsound genre as it is in the mainstream, evidence abounds, from the elevation of some composers to quasi-rockstar status to the beatiful artwork and design on releases and webpages. I may have this all wrong, in which case i would like someone to point out the difference between popmusic and non-popmusic. I personally believe that mass-communication has obliterated all distinction save that which is placed in a historical context.

my two bits
kyle

Michal Seta writes:

IMHO, the idea of acousmatics is too intellectual for pop music. 1) most (but not all) pop music isn't complex enough to require 'acousmatic' listening (however, one could intellectualize it and/or create such complex imaginary structures that... well that'd be missing the point of pop music as entertainment) 2) pop music needs to be created fast and sold fast so acousmatic listening is discouraged (read: not given any thought). Besides, a better chunk of world's population prefers the simplicity of the pop music and the marketing imagery. They don't have time, resources, imagination, education to listen to and intellectualize music. In this modern society entertainment should not be intellectually challenging. Therefore acousmatics remains an issue to a few people who find this way of listening/composing rewarding. --
./MiS

Michal Seta http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/mis
CreaZone http://www.creazone.com
No One Receiving http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/nor

upcoming release:
NOR - "The Release of the Wandering-Eyed Girl"
http://www.grainofsound.com