Re: [microsound] Money/Mouth

On Thu, 16 May 2002, pelagius pelagius wrote:

> ...Recorded pop music (i.e. ALL pop music) IS acousmatic.  The idea
> of acousmatics seems to me to be academia's way of coming to terms with with
> developments in popular culture that took place around the turn of the
> century.

Not to beat this into the ground, but the acousmatic concept is not an
invention of 20th century academia.  It's a Pythagorean concept,
as Pythagoras lectured behind a screen in order to draw attention to the
subject matter rather than the source.  Or maybe he just had stage fright
or a bad hair day ;)

As Michael pointed out earlier, acousmatic performances were a necessity
for early electronic music, ala Max Matthews, and are still a necessity
today for people who use software like CSound.  It's like a raytracing for
sound...lots and lots of rendering time.

Surely an over-simplification but, in many ways, a laptop is more
like a radio than a traditional instrument.

     Christopher Sorg
   Multimedia Artist/Instructor
 The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
   http://csorg.cjb.net
     csorg@xxxxxxxxx