RE: [microsound] Money/Mouth - PERFORMING LIVE

While I can't say that I have a ton of experience performing with my laptop,
I can say that our shows (originally 2 of us, now 3) have really always been
focused on a concept, and that every element was designed to support the
elucidation of this concept (not that it always succeeded 100% of the time)

In performance, we actually set-up at the back of the hall/gallery,
partially so that we can also see the video we are "playing to", and
partially to remove the "stigma of the performer" (which is basically to
perform). It almost feels like more of a "presentation" than a "performance"
both in intent and in execution. For me, our performances to date have had
much more in common with "academic acousmatic tradition" (even if only in
their structure) than with the whole "band" thing. I have also seen a fair
number of tape "performances" at various places (I used to live near the
Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore, and witnessed many events there,
Ussachevsky, etc)

So I guess this whole discussion is meaningless to me as our intent is
merely to present our work, as it pertains (albeit loosely) to whatever the
concept behind it is. We use video and audio to do this. It is mixed live,
in a structured improvisational way, so it is in fact "performed" to some
degree, but thats not really the point.... we don't wish to show off our
virtuoso command of our "instruments" per se, we are "presenting" ideas
through sound and image.

Which I believe is somewhat different than the topic of this thread eh?

David Fodel
Publishing Systems Manager
Wild Oats Markets
3375 Mitchell Lane