Re: [microsound] another satisfied customer

[skipping your previous post...  bzzt - too late]

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:27:00 -0700
"aleks" <bvasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is very true inregards to Shakira.  They totally redid her image
> for the US market.  Died her hair blonde, sexy revealing attire for
> the videos when just over a year ago or so she was this short little
> artsy looking politcal/singer songwriter in S.A.  Guess hse knows
> where the big bucks are.

and that's when the art stops.
However, (re: your comment about elitist attitude) I am far from
claiming that anything pop is not art.  My fav examples are: King
Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd (well, maybe up to 'Momentary Laps of
Reson'...), Leonard Cohen and others (Personally, i would even stick
Iron Maiden in this bag, although that's perhaps subjective).  Those
artists, IMO, have maintained their integrity and have always delivered
works that were very solid in terms of writing (be it lyrics/poetry or
music or both) and innovation.  They're not really the Top40 type of pop
(although some of them have had their Top40 moments) but still they're
not 'academic'.

I know that those mentioned are 'oldies' by now but somehow I cannot think of a recent band or an 'artist' that survived more than 5 years and still continued putting out some intense well-though material.  But than again, the times have changed.
--
../MiS

Michal Seta		http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/mis
CreaZone		http://www.creazone.com
No One Receiving	http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/nor

upcoming release:
NOR - "The Release of the Wandering-Eyed Girl"
	http://www.grainofsound.com