RE: Re[2]: [microsound] 4/4

	Ant wrote: =Is using sampled glitches considered "not-microsound" ?
and where do you
> =draw the line between "glitch" and "microsound"?

For me I tend to differentiate between my tracks that are "written" ie.
sequenced and or somehow played or constructed in a more traditional manner,
and those that are more "discovered", wherein I have set-up a particular
process or series of processes, and then allow structures or motifs to
"naturally occur" and evolve. Still again, but in the same vein, certain
aspects of a track may have come from "drilling-down" into a sample and
discovering a snippet of "unintended" melody or rhythm (without wanting to
start a seperate thread on "intentionality"). To me the latter are what I
consider "microsound",  but i think I much prefer Kim Cascones term
"post-digital" as it connotes something of a relationship more in line with
a "after the honeymoon" situation, where one discovers the inherent flaws,
idiosynchrosies, and quirks... and learns to love them and build something
of strength and beauty from them.

My background is much more visual, and technical than musical and perhaps
this is what guides my interpretation of "microsound". I am sure others have
radically different approaches and definitions. And I for one, am very
excited by that.

David Fodel
Publishing Systems Manager
Wild Oats Markets