Re: [microsound] 'the freest of radicals' - no type's 2cd label compilation

hospital/home wrote:

> was anybody else more than a bit disappointed by biosphere's 'shenzhou' album?

Yes. Very disappointed, though I didn´t have that high hopes for this one.

I know that ambient is supposed to be a bit deflated and not too demanding on
one´s attention (and I know some people will give Shenzhou two thumbs up because
it makes them sleep(y)), but this was too much, or rather, too little. I don´t
know if it´s such a good idea to recycle Debussy to begin with - I guess if you
double furniture music you get something approximating the muzac at Ikea - but
the loops are just plain boring and, eh, doesn´t go anywhere.

I´m not surprised that the best track(s) on the CD are the ones not sampling
Debussy. Geir Jenssen has always had a great sense for warm, melancholic and
melodically looping "themes", but this time the melodies are already there
(forced upon him courtesy of D.), and that´s probably why this thing doesn´t work
- at least not for me.

/Øivind/