performance techniques

all the music I heard in
> Montreal was of the highest calibre, but I'm focussed on performance
> techniques and I was almost uniformly disappointed in the methods
employed.
>if you are trying to do
> something truly different you just have to work harder.

I have to agree, not concerning Mutek(haven't been there
:( ), but many of exprimental electronic performances I've visited left me
somehow only partly satisfied  - I enjoyed the music, but felt that the
performer has to try a bit more to justify his presence in the room. I
realize this opposes Kim's notion of laptop musician not having to "put up a
show", but even though I understood there's work being done by the performer
( unlike the "naive listener", who might feel
fooled not seeing a lot of movement from the man behind the screen) I wished
the performer gave me a little, even tiny indication of appreciation of the
fact that I'm there, that I came to see him, instead of just pretending he's
still sitting in his bedroom at night , tweaking his machines.
I think this can be achieved by including some performance techniques that
are more evidently live, by trying a bit harder to surprize the listener who
is present here and now, to involve the public, to interact... after all a
lot of experimental music is about improvisation, and improvisation and
interaction go beautifully together.
But maybe you meant something totally different, Ben?

ant