i. .m. .c. . v..

on 6/13/02 3:20 PM, The pHarmanaut at pharmanaut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Anyway, I think I'm more interested in how listeners/DJs/mixers/performers
> combine different influences.

  A few observations and impressions :

     There seems to me to be more to musical compositions than just the
relations of notes at any given point in time , the textures , the sensual
colliding of intrinsically meaningful conceptual vibrations.There is
sometimes an intent or a totality to a composition that could be subtle or
might not reveal itself immediately.

     For many people I've known , especially  some of younger types who
don't give a damn who played the sampled sound , those historical
overlappings don't really work. It probably takes someone who's a bit
bookish , intellectual or nerdy , who at least reads liner notes to get into
that perspective.

     I've mentioned my next point before , so excuse if I'm geting old ,
foggy or redundant. I'm often ( well ,sometimes) influenced by something
someone will say about a performer , artist they are excited about or a
description af a musical product: The inspiration almost invariably bears
little relation to what the person is saying , I might not even read the
blurb , description ,or catch the artist's name until later.It's almost like
the established artists are our whores . They just have to be there , to
show up , not necessarily 'put out'. The point is : I'd use the article ,
subject matter as a sort of 'filing tag' in an effort to stay organized and
connect with what really matters  [ not that I patronize prostitutes , I
have a metaphor going on here].

   Another way musical artists are influencial is that I am occasionally
'vindicated in retrospect'. I mean by that if a long time ago I stood up for
something or played something and said 'this matters' and someone who gets
publicity is close enough to that aesthetic that it is recognized by those
who were present , then the the artist is a 'hero' in a very true sense
since it gives me credibility and contributes to saving my life.

 After composing a complete project I'll sometimes try to track down my
influences , to find artists who are perhaps working on something similar.
Sometimes it's a bit embarrassing ( and I mean 'a bit') to find my personal
concepts have been expounded by someone else , though I think people have
their own personalities , my silence might not sound the same as someone
else's.

[       B  iI   ll  l   ]