Re: [microsound] the idea of progress in music

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:39:22 EDT
> MVFarley@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > What do you think, is linear progress in music an illusion?  I prefer to
>
> > think of music history as a spiral, not a vertical line.

on a general note:

the idea of progress (in general) can differ substantially between cultures.
In the west we share a linear concept of progress whereas in Japan and other
eastern countries (in particularly their old cultural heritage) progress is
understood as a circular phenomenon.

personally, the circular conception seems much richer than the linear view
where we move from less to higher forms of sophistication. The circular notion
(to my view) incorporates history better by not breaking with its past but
returning to vertain fundamental essentials, or if you like, esssential
fundaments that keep recurring in whatever form they appear. I believe we see this
in music.

mircosound (and its practicers) searches and reinvents age old essentials
(can't come with better terms) that are inherently driving us to make music. it
tries to unveal an aesthetic, produce a hypnotic drive or what have you,
that ultimately serves some old and basic need in us. I see an example in the
massive development of the dance scene where thousands come together and dance
themselves into extacy. an age old phenomenon. In this way, music, cannot be
considered to develop in a uni-linear fashion.

or can it?

http://www.gmx.net