RE: [microsound] copyright...

my understanding of copyright law is that any work is copywriten as soon as
it is done - done as in you actually wrote the book, poem, song.
 everything else is about proving it.  the copyright office (here in
canada, anyway) does not take CD's, slides of pantings or manuscripts.  you
fill out a peice of paper that says "I'm graeme, and I wrote this peice of
music X"  If you have the peice of paper that says you created a peice of
art, the burden of proof in court lies with the other party.  This is where
the mailing back of the music to yourself is important, because if this
went to court you would have proof.  There is other kinds of proof -
playlists from radio, or a recept from the studio you recorded a song in, a
copy of the CD you sent to SOCAN (what's the american version of SOCAN?)
for example

this leaves concepts (stuff in your head) uncopywritable because they are
not a "done" peice of work.  Of course, if you wrote about the concept the
article would be copywritable.  There is a very good book titled "copywrite
law for canadian musicians" . if you can't find an american version if
still probably good because both canada america and most other countries
have signed international agreements so the laws are similar.

graeme