Re: [microsound] death of internet radio......fight back!! now

Philip's right. This is bad news as the law is _retroactive_,
which means that even if stations like betalounge and groovetech
move offshore, they are still going to owe quite a bit of money.
To who? To the RIAA, of course. None of this will end up in the
producer's pockets-- just in the fat of the Great American Middleman.
And notwithstanding that much of what both stations broadcast is
with permission of the artists (even more so if you count a
turntablist as an artist/performer).

This is a much larger blow to one's general non-commercial freedoms
on the net than taking a stab at MP3s. I wonder if Canada will follow
suit; the US has been placing a lot of pressure lately on the CDN
government in several areas (our social policies, softwood lumber,
electricity, farm subsidizations, drug policies) and this will probably
be the next big issue.

The general result of this law will be: 1. independent radio will move
offshore; fights will begin in the courts. 2. US will be dominated by
mainstream radio. mainstream / commercial content providers will put
pressure on US gov't to shutdown offshore streaming (indeed, a law
has been passed that extends US jurisdiction in matters of the net
to the *globe*). 3. either we move one step closer to 1984, or the
fight is on.

- tobias

> actually, that's incorrect, as i understand it. even indie-based stations
> will be subject. webcasters like beta lounge could end up tens, if not
> hundreds, of thousands of dollars in the hole. this could be absolutely
> catastrophic.

tobias c. van Veen -----------
http://www.shrumtribe.com
http://www.targetcircuitry.com