Re: [microsound] death of internet radio......fight back!! now

Wanna know what's killing the music industry, its that damn RIAA! File sharing and web radio are both great for CD sales! I always bought CDs from mp3's I'd found, and often Vinyl as well, sending the government after both the US Rave scene and the underground music scene in general and after file sharing and micro-radio on the web is really, really strangulating the music industry. I used to play 5 nights a week in the early 90s but since the crackdowns I haven't gigged outside coffee houses, nearly all the club gigs are expensive pay-to-play, or are for major label acts only!

However the RIAA still can't stop an artist from creating a code based, algorithmic music machine that can generate an audio stream from an algorithm, this is something I'm working on in java, to create an algorithmic sound genrator that encodes a stream as ogg and then streams it to an applet that can decode ogg into an audio stream.

You could also mic interesting audio environments in real time, process it with something like pd or max and then stream to the web. There's a PD external that streams from PD to icecast so if you have dsl or cable you can broadcast over the web from icecast or shoutcast, so for microsounders if you're not a dj,this could be an oppurtunity to get more attention for your music online, as the "Live PA" could be one of the few legal online events that's not corporate sponsored.
tobias v wrote:

Philip's right. This is bad news as the law is _retroactive_,
which means that even if stations like betalounge and groovetech
move offshore, they are still going to owe quite a bit of money.
To who? To the RIAA, of course. None of this will end up in the
producer's pockets-- just in the fat of the Great American Middleman.
And notwithstanding that much of what both stations broadcast is
with permission of the artists (even more so if you count a
turntablist as an artist/performer).

This is a much larger blow to one's general non-commercial freedoms
on the net than taking a stab at MP3s. I wonder if Canada will follow
suit; the US has been placing a lot of pressure lately on the CDN
government in several areas (our social policies, softwood lumber,
electricity, farm subsidizations, drug policies) and this will probably
be the next big issue.

The general result of this law will be: 1. independent radio will move
offshore; fights will begin in the courts. 2. US will be dominated by
mainstream radio. mainstream / commercial content providers will put
pressure on US gov't to shutdown offshore streaming (indeed, a law
has been passed that extends US jurisdiction in matters of the net
to the *globe*). 3. either we move one step closer to 1984, or the
fight is on.

- tobias

actually, that's incorrect, as i understand it. even indie-based stations
will be subject. webcasters like beta lounge could end up tens, if not
hundreds, of thousands of dollars in the hole. this could be absolutely
catastrophic.