Re: [microsound] RE: McLabor

I tried to stay out of this, since it isn't microsound, but...

>> Do you really think that Nike is paying their overseas employees fairly?
>> Are the children in India working for the diamond trade getting fair wages?
>
> yes they are.  and are probably paid better than others in their area.
> it's about the MARKET VALUE of labor.

....sorry, this just isn't true. I worked as a human rights advocate for
Chinese and Indonesian workers for several years and the wage that Nike pays
in Indonesia is not livable, nor is it markedly better than other in the
area. The Nike jobs may have an initial appeal to laborers because its an
American corporation but that appeal quickly disappears when people realize
they can't live off 29 cents a day and they get the shit kicked out of them
if they hang out in groups more than five.  Nike has been directly
implicated in hiring armed thugs to harass workers who organize, beat up
their families, etc.

Also, by jumping to whatever repressive regime pays their workers the least
and lobbying against labor reform wherever they go, (look at what they did
in Korea if you want an example) they perpetuate a system in which it
behooves a local dictatorship to keep paying their workers shit and cracking
down on worker protest.

--Boundary_(ID_f03BoOUSBDxLuNA+Vc9Jlg)