Re: [microsound] (ot) (Slightly) Politics + electronic Music

I've patched together responses to a couple of different emails on this
(off)topic:

> ...but seriously, for me, the choice of playing
> computer alone as opposed to a traditional instrument
> in a traditional band is an easy one. I got fully sick
> of hammering on the same song day after day. Every
> song started to look like marching orders, regardless
> of the intent of the composer.

Hawkwind always struck me as interesting in regards to politics and
electronic space rock. Not only were their shows very much NOT based on
duplicating set lists, but they were very committed to working against the
traditional structure of concert performance and promotion. Even when the
big name bands (with very outered policital messages, such as Jefferson
Airplane) were playing huge concerts and festivals, such as at Wemberly,
Hawkwind would set up their own free festivals right outside the gates and
jam as long as they could.

> There are no Rock star egos here as there are in the traditional music
scene
> to get in the way of some beautiful creativity.Isnt microsound   just so
> much more full of collaborations than most any other Genre of music out
> there presenlty?  So many high quality collabs to mention.  What you
fav:)?

This statement strikes me as very dubious. I don't see the point of
generalizing about traditional vs. microsound and their attendant egos. I've
met and seen perform folks in both categories, and I've found there are
assholes in each camp, as well as geniuses, not to mention the generally
nice person or two. Sometimes a little bit if each in a single person, too!

I mention Hawkwind as an example of a band that, at its best, was firmly
committed to electronic space music as exploration over much of what is
being assumed as features of the "traditional" rock band. Same goes for The
Church, who put on an excellent show.

At any rate, I'd like to see more use of guerilla sound tactics ala Hawkwind
from microsounders--what's all that portability of your laptop for if it's
just being used in a gallery setting or something?

-=Trace