Re: [microsound] math anxiety

----- Original Message -----
From: "anechoic" <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 1:27 PM
Subject: [microsound] math anxiety

> >i'll even bet a lot of the *hardcores* would be embarassed to admit that
> >their initial interest in braxton may have arose from the fact that he's
> >seen/portrayed as this math nut who transforms geometric shapes into
music.
> >that's panty wetting information for math nuts and those of us with
romantic
> >attachments to numbers and knowledge.
>
> huh? embarassed? why? music was considered a manifestation of math way
back
> in the time of the Greeks...I persoanlly see no difference between the two

sorry, more precisely, i mean that some might not want to consider that they
may have been *swayed*, in a way that appealed to their emotions, to
investigate somebody like anthony braxton, because they may be of the belief
that their interest was *purely intellectual* or something like that.
thinking about it now, maybe there are no such people in this world, and
i've created a subspecies of the human race just to illustrate the point
that, i don't believe one can separate themselves from their emotions. i
don't believe a separation even exists. i guess i've heard something
(vaguely) about you claiming something along these lines?? i admittedly
don't know much about you or your work, so sorry if i'm totally wrong, but
the idea that one can create *art* outside of their feelings, without any
intereference from their *emotions*, no matter how veiled, seems totally and
completely implausible. unless you're insane. please enlighten me if this is
an opinion you hold and/or care to get into.

and oh yeah, there is not a shred of doubt in my mind about math and music
being family...no anxiety whatsoever about this. an interesting and
beautiful story on the strange world of numbers and our relationship to them
can be found in "the man who mistook his wife for a hat" by oliver sacks.
the story is called "the twins"...highly recommended reading that has
absolutely nothing to do with microsound...