Inductive Amplifiers

Been playing with the one here at the office lately:  It's normally used to
trace telephone/network/whatever lines (when used with a tone generator),
but I've been walking around and seeing if anything here makes noise.

Progressive Electronics 200EP Inductive Amplifier
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Progressive_Electronics/Toners_Probes/200EP.as

It's a little sonic window into a hidden world, I love this thing.  Strange
buzzes and hidden tones all over the place.  Any other similar devices you
all know of?

I hear that people with hearing problems use "inductive loops" to get
clearer sound into their hearing aids.  Also that these loops are used in
some theaters.  Can anyone explain in layman's terms how inductive
amplification works?

-Christian