Re: [microsound] matlab and mircrosound

Hello,
being an engineer I had to use deeply matlab during my studies and so I
tried some synthesis technique (like AR models for voice, or FFT
synthesis .. an example with audio is here:
http://digilander.libero.it/eeegggooo/txt2sound/
all made with matlab )

There is an evaluation version of matlab for students but it has memory
limitations and so it is impossible to really do anything. Complete
version I think is around 2000 $ or more.. There was some years ago
"octave" which is a freeware matlab for linux... that should work if it
still exists...

Working with matlab and audio is lovely since you can project yourself
your FIR filters or IIR or whatever you want since every algorithm can
be implemented... BUT...
but... like in the old Csound: you don't have real time. You can set
your parameters and then render your file. Trying to obtained something
in real time is almost impossible (maybe).

I think that using Csound is better... or maybe... JAVA?
I think JAVA has great capabilities and has no limitations since like in
Matlab you have an array of samples that you can treat to your
pleasure...

if you want java resources for sound I can try to find them in my
bookmarks.. or search on Mark Napier's site http://www.potatoland.org
one of his net.art piece had some links to a very good java sound
programmer...

is anybody using JAVA for sounds on this list?

jMAX is a wonderful example of java and sounds.
check peter hanappe's work:
http://www.hanappe.org

best

enrico