musique cement

> and you're right kim, the decoupling of physical gestures and noise is
> not a bad thing.  I enjoy that kind of relationship when I put a record
> on the turntable, or when I tune my radio.
Ben, I know you think aesthetics are pointless but this is *not* the same
thing...vastly different for a long laundry list of aesthetic reasons...

>  for me, playing music
> with a laptop today is like dancing with my feet in cement shoes.
hmmm...hope Cycling doesn't take that as a crit of their technology... ;)

>  it's like trying to have a conversation with someone but only being allowed
> to recite prepared sentences.  I want to talk freely.  is that a good
> enough reason?
that's unfortunate that you have that sort of experience with the
laptop...having studied music formally I can say that _for me_ the laptop
has been a liberation that removes the physicality of traditional
performance and lets your brain connect directly with the sound being
created...I could go on about this and happens to be the subject of some new
writing I'm doing but in a nutshell the physicality of traditional
performance is a political/cultural trap...on the downside: the laptop (+ CD
burners + the internet) has unleashed a huge spectrum of quality material to
wade thru in order to find what pleases you...

'nuff said...too busy getting ready for a trip to Brussels and NY next week

Cya
KIM

PS mucho gracias to Eloy for extending the deadline and all the hard work he
is putting in on the Watermann memorial project...

***please keep in mind that I will be out of town from Nov 16 - 25 and will
not be able to assign hotline pswds from the road...so ask me NOW or sit out
this project... :)