Re: [microsound] Was: record industry is becoming the book business

--------------020709070908000606080309

I think that Tim mentioned a major change in the way we listen to music,
that's pretty good - though a bit provocative - described by his
question, if we would throw away CDs if they were meant to be for single
use, kind of... with the massive availabilty of interesting and free
music through the net,  I guess we all know the phenomenon of rather
streaming the tracks that are for example promoted through microsound
list than to download and listen over and over. Music, as paperbacks in
the literature biz, tends to become aural fastfood and I feel absolutely
no shame about it, as there's so much sound not to miss, the time seems
to be over for "THE ALBUM" or the one special songs that you listen to
the whole day, music production has become a democratic way of
communicating, rather emotions than intellectual issues, for which I'd
still prefer the usual language. And as I wouldn't tend the have the
same discussions over and over the whole day, I also dislike to listen
to the same music twice - well,  unless the tracks are really
outstanding, but that's the ame with good books - ..
However, there's another world of music, which is for me represented by
the vinyl market, where the "hardware" itself delivers a gain of
distinction and also gives wealth to the "software" represented, which
means the music. Though I also  don't listen to the same record more
than twice, I feel a much stronger binding between the music on vinyl
that has come into my world  with a whole bunch of sensual impulses like
artwork, that may even lead me to buy a record I don't even know the
artist that made it. Most of these impulses are given up by CD
producers. The bigger industry a&rs begin to discuss this lack and tend
to wealth the CDs by adding more and more special artwork not be
reproducable by CD pirates, but also serve the gain of distinction that
most CDs have lost.
So there some day certainly may be CDs for 4 dollars on the airport for
immediate use and to be thrown away afterwards, or chips to create a
certain range of instant/random music, that will become boring after 3
hours or so. That doesn't mean that this will happens to ALL music. But
there will certainly be a segment like this. And - I'm sorry I have to
say it - microsound will be one of the genres that will fit perfectly
well to such a business. Created very fast with very much automation,
there are  quite a lot of tracks that sound very well but are easy to
manipulate/change/reproduce/modulate. As the Flash applications
presented through this list show, it's not that difficult to create an
hour lasting streams of interesting sound, that I can let run the whole
time that I'm typing this silly text (in bad English). That means a
chance and a burden for this genre.  We all have to see, sooner or
later, that the quality measures for this kind of tapestry sound is
completely different than for "the eternal pop song", but that doesn't
mean this music is worse. So of course I can throw away a -let's say Kim
Cascone-CD - for 3 Euros if I know that his output won't allow me to
listen to anything else than his new stuff. That doesn't denigrate his
music. It just shows that the development goes on and we found a new way
of music that may be a bit like field sounds. An extension of the "real
world", an addition to nature, "ambient music" in its original meaning.
And that is then again one big difference between the book and the music
market. You will never ever find an ambient book (perhaps unless it's a
picture album - or - as Tim mentioned - the famous coffetable mag, which
is also measured by total different qualities ).