translation:

>> no...I'm describing the 'filter' of having to translate musical ideas
> into
>> physical actions required to play a traditional instrument...laptops
> remove
>> this filter and this is part of what people feel they're missing out
> on in
>> the 'exchange value' involved in a musical performance...too busy to
> go in
>> detail...
>
> Sorry, am I not understing this correctly or are you saying that
> physical actions that are needed to operate a laptop are more directly
> connected to musical ideas and no 'translation' is necessary?

you're turning part of the argument around by re-stating it in the
negative...but I'm saying essentially that the laptop offers a way to embed
intellectual property directly into software such as Max/MSP, PD etc which
obviously removes the need of instrumental prowess when expressing ideas in
sound (musical or otherwise)...of course 'translation' is still necessary
but not on the same level as 'mastering' (i.e., agreed upon skill-set needed
to perform music professionally) the guitar or piano...