Re: translation:

> you're turning part of the argument around by re-stating it in the
> negative...but I'm saying essentially that the laptop offers a way to
> embed intellectual property directly into software such as Max/MSP, PD
etc
> which obviously removes the need of instrumental prowess when
expressing
> ideas in sound (musical or otherwise)...of course 'translation' is
still
> necessary but not on the same level as 'mastering' (i.e., agreed upon
> skill-set needed to perform music professionally) the guitar or
piano...

I don't play any instrument at the level of "mastery," but I tend to
think that there is something to be said for learning one's tool in
great depth, whether it is a tool that you have made yourself on a
laptop (or a desktop for that matter) or a tool that has been made for
you by an instrument maker.  Just because these very flexible systems
open up the possibilities and allow you the artistic freedom to explore
the vastness of sonic space does not mean that you should be freed of
the expectation to do something interesting within that newly
established "space."  I'm not accusing anyone here of being lazy in this
way, but certainly, it's quite easy to think that you're creating
something very deep when you're just making a shallow exploration of an
idea that has not been explored before.  The most interesting art is
made when you discover something new and then push it, poke it, and
twist it around until you've exposed the beauty within the idea.

-nathansnider