Re: [microsound] [OT] off topic is on

------=_NextPart_000_88C3_01C28B64.B1BA6B10

Or you could just put "off-topic" or "[OT]" (see above) in the subject
heading so that people who do want to have more focus can hit delete and
those who don't care can partake. I don't think we need to call on Kim
to moderate or field more complaints; he's got enough to do as it is. I
loved the Kikkoman ad too, but it would have been more considerate to
flag it as off-topic so people could choose whether to read about it. I
don't see it as "humiliating" anyone to say that; I think the OP already
agreed that would have been better. Also keep in mind that some people
also have filters set up so that emails containing "off-topic" or "[OT]"
are automatically deleted, and if indiscriminate posting of off-topic
stuff is done with no flags, then some people may unsubscribe, thereby
reducing the diversity you celebrate (rightly, in my view). I agree with
you that a certain amount of off-topic stuff is cool, but that doesn't
mean it needs to be a free-for-all. Just try subscribing to the IDM list
if you don't agree. :-) But I know that you're not saying it should be a
free-for-all. Still, I imagine we would agree there ought to be limits.

with respect,

ph

Get the FREE email that has everyone talking at
http://www.mail2world.com

------=_NextPart_000_88C3_01C28B64.B1BA6B10--