[microsound] mp3 label practicalities

--
just wanted to chime in on this thread...so far, i've been paying for
my server space (and bandwidth, which is a larger consideration than
i had originally expected).

when i first began stasisfield, my main concern was finding an isp
that would give me as much server space as possible for the least
amount of money. i was lucky enough to find a host that offered
*unlimited* storage for a fairly reasonable price. however, i didn't
realize that their bandwidth allotments weren't quite large enough
for my needs--the day i launched the site and announced it to several
lists, it immediately went down and stayed down for a week until i
caved and purchased a bandwidth upgrade, which has effectively
doubled my annual hosting fee.

luckily, a friend of mine has been able to help out with an
additional (so far free) server, which some of stasisfield's releases
have been hosted on in order to ease the bandwidth burden. for now,
this has worked out very nicely (altho it would sure be nice to
either find enough *free* server space + bandwidth -- or sell quite a
few more CD-Rs to make up at least part of the current server costs!).

as for the effectiveness of a domain name, i pretty much saw it as a
necessity, since it helps reinforce the label's name and makes it
easier for people to find it online (then again, i spent 6 years
designing web sites for a living and was indoctrinated into the
"e-business" culture, which i'm sure has sufficiently twisted my view
of this somewhat ;-)

A concise, easy-to-spell name seems to be the best way to go. i
thought i had done that with "stasisfield", however i've come across
several creative misspellings of it online ("statisfield",
"statsfield," and my personal favorite, "satisfied").

i definitely feel the site so far has been a "success", since it has
a steady stream of visitors--not a huge number, but extremely steady.
and that's what makes all the money, time and effort worth it:
knowing that the music i'm promoting is actually getting listened to
by an audience who appreciates it.

john

[ http://www.stasisfield.com ]