Re: [microsound] On the benefits/disadvantages of CDR as a medium for distributing music...

> So, I'd be interested in hearing what the list thinks. Is CDR publishing a
> waste of time? Do some labels invest as heavily in the design and content of
> their CDR releases as their 'real' releases, thereby making the CDRs equally
> desirable (Alku, definitely). Would you buy music on CDR? If so, should it be
> priced at a lower price point? If so, what do you think is a fair price to pay
> for an album on CDR?

personally, i can understand perfectly why a label or artist chooses to
release cdr's in stead of manufactured cd's, obviously concidering the lower
costs. the main problem with most (but definitly not all!!) cdr-releases
though is the lack of descent mastering and the lower quality of the
artwork, wich are both quite important i think..

...artwork & mastering-session are building up the costs of any release, i
know, but i feel both are quite nessecary..

in a genre where a run of 500 copies is quite large, cdr is a very resonable
solution i think, and descently mastered with a nice (printed) cover i don't
mind paying up to 12 us dollars/euro's for them..

grtz,
peter

++ http://users.pandora.be/formatt ++