Re: [microsound] overclean systems

Quoting Kim Cascone <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Would foregrounding of the glitch destabilize the overclean systems,
> expose
> > their vulnerability?
> IMO this is exactly how the critique of digital audio comes about...

I had an interesting intersection today with this very topic in one of the
courses I teach at the Art Institute.  Students are showing their work, and we
began talking about the "overclean" studio system in the 50s/60s, the film work
and editing and how the cuts were purposely made clean and imperceptible.  With
French New Wave and Bertholt Brecht's writing the cuts become purposefully
"glitch", where the system behind the narrative is made apparent, the "man
behind the curtain" if you will (just to bring the acousmatic into the
conversation --again--:).  Here's the rub:  as my colleague pointed out so
well, it has become an ineffective technique, as MTV and commercials and film
in general has absorbed this "oppositional" technique into its general
framework and the language of film and video.  While I don't see an extremely
strong trend towards this absorbtion of glitch into mainstream audio production
yet, I do expect than somewhere along the way this will be inevitable, as it
seems that any "other", like folk or punk or indie, has been convolved.

The challenge with this opposition/absorbtion pattern is that it becomes
difficult to maintain the critical stance when you(it) becomes the very thing
it critiques.  I suppose that saying, "Well, it was a valid critique, for a
while..." could be satisfying, but there certainly must be more ways to
ingratiate oneself pursuing audio concepts.  It's also rather naive to think of
oneself as punk (glitch is electronic punk, right?, the audio production world
turned on its end again?) and not expect to be engaging in that continuous
cycle.

So what of other paradigms for critique that are perhaps *not* engaging this
binary didactic?  Can glitch participate in other forms of critique?  I'm
interested in discussion & conceptual forms which disengage from the either/or
proposition, such as Derrida's critiques that use two texts next to each other
to resonate rather than oppose.  I'm just curious what else is out there, what
the potential is...just musing...
Christopher Sorg
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
http://www.enteract.com/~csorg
csorg@xxxxxxxxx