Re: [microsound] lack of archival information

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 17:37, Kim Cascone wrote:
> the statement above calls to the foreground certain glaring
inadequacies in
> the flow of information via email lists...since most of the
> discussions/threads happen in 'real-time' (and the microsound list
doesn't
> have an archive) there is no way for someone coming in after a topic
has
> been exhausted and put to rest from unknowingly starting the thread
again
> from ground zero...

Ooops, sorry if I missed something...  I came to the thread late but I
didn't think anyone had put forward that point of view - that I believe
we should show more when we perform rather than less.  Computers aren't
tape machines.

Automatic archiving is good when it's done well, with working threads
and so on.  However I much prefer handmade 'weekly summaries' of mailing
lists.  Very time consuming to make, however.

It is true that mailing list discussions are cyclic and temporary, but
that isn't a bad thing - it's good to revisit important issues from a
new context.  The reason I posted was because I've recently experienced
some excellent laptop performances - for example golan levin scribbling
on his screen, and tom betts/nullpointer generating live visuals at the
same time as his music.

But then I think there is something really special about people
performing with their own software, and letting people see it.  Then the
software becomes a lot more than just a tool.

alex