Re: [microsound] grindcore & death metal

--part1_1a9.dfb38e4.2b333a3d_boundary

none of my friends believe me, but what made me wanna talk about deathmetal
and grindcore on microsound was this band i saw up in northern michigan.
there's this skatepark i go to, and while you ride on saturday night, live
bands play. this band was playing and most kids just wrote them off as some
macho slayer crap, but they we not at all!

the drummer had a huge drumset. all see through plastic with tons and tons of
toms. they played so fast, repetitive, and tight, that i swear it sounded
like some super fast electronic stuff. it reminded me a lot of the opening
tune (or the first song on the second side - i can't quite remember) of the
"return of fenn'oburg" record where i think peter is rocking out, like
speed-garage or something.

then this little heavy metal band would have these short little crazy breaks
with more melodic finger picking guitar stuff run through lots of effects.
honestly, it sounded, exactly like some of the guitar focus parts of "endless
summer" by our friend chrsitian fennesze.

i think it was all overlooked due to the lead singer, a nice looking guy kind
of like jack white, who was just curled up on the floor, face down, and
screaming. they sort of had a wesley willis thing going on, where he'd be
like, "this song is about christina agulara" and he was screaming like, "such
a little slut." to see a full grown man upset, screaming and crying by a
little mainstream strut that the media adores, somehow really hit home.

but i'm telling you, the beats were fat... in a microsound way.

--part1_1a9.dfb38e4.2b333a3d_boundary--