Re: [microsound] adult video

--- Kim Cascone <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I would say that is a highly debateable
> argument (unless I
> > misunderstand your use of the word 'offers'),
> which probably shouldn't be
> > discussed seriously in this forum by a bunch of
> people with little or no
> > experience of the porn industry.
> I don't think one needs 'experience in the porn
> industry' to be able to see
> all the various issues/critiques/relations embedded
> in the commodity of
> adult video...that's like saying I can't proffer an
> opinion on my pan seared
> salmon without first having being a cook...there is
> a lot of feminist theory
> written on the subject of pornography and I would
> start there if there's any
> interest in learning more...

i was hoping that the topic of adult entertainment
would come back up.  personally i think that dirty
movies/magazines are one of the more interesting
phenomenon of modern life.  i don't think, though,
that feminist critics shed all that much light on the
subject.  its way too easy to get bogged down in the
issues of the exploitation/commodification of women,
and miss the other strange points of the genre.

its interesting to note the rise in the number of male
performers who are opting in for plastic surgery to
enhance their genitalia (which has bizarre
consequences for the function of the penis.)  also at
issue is the fact that pr0n works by linking up sexual
gratification with both buying a product and causing
it to occur when the subject is alone.  essentially a
good number of people prefer to copulate with their
television/computer than with a warm body.  i'm not
sure if any feminists even bother to look at how
pornography affects the sexuality of the consumer
beyond a certain acquired lack of regard for females
partners.

another strange thing about porn in my mind, is
apparently i'm not the only fairly educated
philosophically minded person to be interested
in/working in pornography.  on a recent college
interview i was told by the admissions counselor that
the majority of people transfering to the philosophy
department at that school had at one point worked in
the industry.  i'd really like to figure out why that
is.

-stinky