Re: [microsound] adorno essays

--------------020905050903070504000506

Aaron Ximm wrote:

>>In this case as in many other cases the word "everything" has a meaning
>>

>In UPPERCASE there are no nuances.

This is simply silly.  The person I was responding to stated that
societal circumstances "have little bearing" on whether a piece of music
is judged as good or not.  Adorno's point, and it's a point that many
others share, is that these circumstances condition how quality is
determined from the very beginning.  There was no hyperbole in my use of
the word "everything".  I did not use the word to suggest that "only"
societal circumstances condition aesthetic quality, but you would be
hard pressed to find situations where they don't have such influence.
 Primarily because there aren't any.

Lexically, the word has to do with "having extreme importance" in this
case.  It doesn't mean that other phenomena aren't relevant, which was
how you were misreading me.

--------------020905050903070504000506--