Re: [microsound] adorno essays

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:49:55 -0800 (PST) Aaron Ximm <ghede@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

> My brother is a very committed Zen Buddhist. He told me he takes it
> as a moral imperative that all of his energy should be bent on
political action
> in these times. His clear implication (delivered without judgement) is
> that this imperative falls on all of us with the sense to be alarmed.

Hi Aaron. I see you've stirred up SOMETHING. ;-)   I would be willing to
bet that your brother's inclinations toward "political action" are more
geared toward his own temperament and less so on Zen Buddhism. At the
risk of drawing ire from some list members and if you'll indulge my
paraphrased quotes from the Tao:
"to act without acting, to be busy without being busy.... is how the sage
acts."
"there is nothing that non-action (letting things go) cannot sort
out."
But, before people hit the "reply" button in order to argue against this
philosophy, I would like to point out that phrases from the Tao Te Ching
are not to be taken wholly at face value, nor am I advocating anything in
particular. It's just an example to clarify and illustrate a minor
point.
Cheers, Dale

Dale Lloyd:  http://www.and-oar.org/dalelloyd.html

and/OAR:  http://www.and-oar.org/