Re: [microsound] Cage

At 11:54 PM -0800 1/7/03, ph!L @ c e n t i b e l wrote:

>It might be equally hackneyed to point out that Cage wasn't very fond of
>recordings.

Nevertheless he had some occasional enthusiasm for them. A few years
ago I had the pleasure of being the sound technician for a music
festival when John was composer in residence. On one program was a
commissioned work for four independent ensembles, located in separate
parts of an old California mission. Before the concert he asked me if
he could get a tape of the performance, and I told him that the radio
crew would be recording it. After the concert he asked me again about
the tape and I reminded him that he'd already asked me about it. His
face broke into one of his incredible grins and he said, "I guess it
must really be on my mind."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com