Re: [microsound] mp3s are killing the record industry

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Kim Cascone wrote:

> > I dont know if all independents are saying this but I have heard it from
> > several. They are being hurt. For real. Microsound is probably to small a
> > niche or is Fennesz, Cascone & Co. also available on Kazaa??

they are present there, at least the more prominent acts as fennesz, pan sonic,
noto etc.. and sometimes i am even using it, to get an impression of an album.
and if i like it, i buy it. i know that my partners act similar. to replace the
original by a copy usually causes the same effect as reading a book as a bunch
of copied paper. it simply ain't the real thing.

another point is a more special one. since many years i am collecting unreleased
live-sets of microsound-artists and i could gather more than 200 pieces now,
either by trading, sharing or d-i-y. and i know by partners, that many of them
have heard fennesz, coh, farmers manual as an example the first time by such a
live set and *started* buying records of those artists then. in a non-mp3-world
this would be impossible and you'd have to buy cd's almost blind.

whenever i visit a microsound live-event, i ask the artists if i may record and
later trade/share the concert. not a single one has ever said no, not even those
who sometimes are thought as picky and / or arrogant (i.e. markus popp).
i guess they wouldn't have allowed it, if they had to be afraid of financial
losses.

> dunno, but I'm making the same amount of money per CD sold that I was 10
> years ago...artists usually don't get a cost of living raise...besides,
> microsound is a collectors genre...artists put a lot of time and effort into
> the packaging and artwork so it becomes about the form as much as the
> content

as you say, it is a collectors genre. and i think the relation between artists
and their audience is a special aspect therein. it has an almost personal
atmosphere. there is a very respectful thinking of the artists in the community.
almost every listener appreciates the artists and their innovative and dedicated
work. this in fact makes a difference. i am sure: the microsound-audience would
never rip off it's artists.

just my 2 cent ..
denis